“Recovery: Your PC needs to be repaired” is a horrifying message that would make any Windows user worried. If you are a pretty new user of Windows, you will surely be worried when you see such messages.
In fact, it comes with a bluescreen, and the computer will not operate further. However, the good news is that it is totally possible to get rid of this situation.
So, in this article, we explain all remedies to fix the “recovery your PC needs to be repaired” error.
What Exactly is “Recovery: Your PC Needs to Be Repaired Windows?”
When you see a bluescreen message on your computer, you might notice an error code as well. 0xc000014C, 0x0000098, 0xc000000f, 0xc0000605, 0xc0000225, 0xc0000034, and 0xc000000d are some of those error codes.
It is true that such an error indicates a major issue in your PC. In fact, it says that Windows OS cannot find much-needed system files to boot your computer. These files are also known as BCD (Boot Configuration Data).
When they are missing due to some reason or another, you will notice an error. That will say, “Recovery: Your PC needs to be repaired“.
Well, those error codes come in different contexts due to several reasons. However, on the other hand, the main issue remains the same.
The bluescreen appears when an important system file is missing. As a result, Windows will not boot further. There are several reasons behind missing system files.
● Corrupted Boot Configuration Data
As a result of damaged or missing Boot Sector Data, one of the bluescreen messages can appear. Such a situation can occur due to sudden power failure or even a disc write error.
● Compromised Integrity of the File System
If your computer’s file system is damaged somehow, the “your PC needs to be repaired” message appears. That will come along with the bluescreen code. This will happen mainly if you experience a power outage while writing crucial files to the boot sector.
● Corrupted System Files
Damaged or corrupted system files can often lead to “recovery your PC needs to be repaired”. As a result, your computer will become unbootable.
● Something Wrong with the Partition
If there is something wrong with an active partition, you might notice this error.
● The Drivers are Outdated
Outdated drivers can definitely lead to various errors in your system. If you have not updated drivers, even a bluescreen error can appear.
How to Fix ‘Recovery: Your PC Needs to Be Repaired’ Error
Let’s take a look at the solutions to fix the “recovery your PC needs to be repaired Windows” error.
01. Through a Windows Recovery Disc
Creating a recovery disc is one of the most convenient ways to get rid of this error. With a recovery disc, your PC will get back to a default configuration setting.
As a result, it will eliminate the bluescreen error. If you intend to create a recovery disc for Windows 10, you may use another healthy Windows 10 system.
- First, you should install a USB flash drive on a healthy PC that works without any problem.
- Then, go to “Start” and enter the text “Create a recovery disc” to proceed. Then, you should launch the first tab.
- Once the recovery drive is created, you should boot the troublesome computer using the same USB drive. After that, you should follow the popup window, and the error will be gone. For many users, this method should work to fix the “recovery your PC needs to be repaired” error.
02. Perform a Startup Repair on Windows
What if you cannot fix “recovery your PC needs to be repaired Windows” with a recovery disc? Well, you don’t have to worry because there are several other fixes to try.
Performing a startup repair is one of those fixes. As per this method, you should create a bootable USB drive (even a DVD drive).
- First, please go to the official website of Microsoft so you can create a bootable device.
- Then, get that bootable device inserted into the faulty computer. Boot the computer from that disc.
- Now, you will see a separate window that represents Windows Setup. From there, you can select the preferred language. It also lets you set time and currency, and other aspects.
- Now, click on the option labeled “Repair your Computer“. After that, choose the option called “Troubleshoot“.
- You can then click on the option called “Advanced Options“. Go to “Automatic Repair” and choose “Operating System“.
Once the steps are completed, restart the computer according to the instructions that appear on the screen.
03. Use CHKDSK and SFC
“Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired” error can appear when some system files are corrupted. If that’s the case, you can fix it by performing an SFC and CHKDSK scan.
Mentioned below is how to perform such a task.
- Boot the faulty PC using a Windows bootable drive.
- Now, choose a language and tap on the button labeled “Next“.
- After that, click on the option called “Repair Your Computer“.
- Click on the option called “Command Prompt“.
- Perform a system file check by using the command “sfc / scannow” and hitting the “Enter” key.
- After that, enter the command “chkdsk c: /f /r” and hit the “Enter” key.
04. Use Discpart Command Line
You will experience a “recovery your PC needs to be repaired” issue when a wrong partition is activated. To fix it, you should choose the partition that has the Windows OS in it and activates it.
Mentioned below is how to fix it.
- First, press the “Windows” and “R” keys so it will open the “Run” utility. Then, enter the text “diskpart“.
- In the new window, you should enter the text “list disc“.
- You will see the discs installed on your computer.
- Now, enter the text “select disc [disc name]“.
- Now, enter the text “list partition” to proceed.
- After that, you should enter the command “select partition [partition name]“.
- Enter the text “active” to proceed.
05. Fix Your PC’s Master Boot Record using the Command Prompt
Mentioned below is how to repair your Master Boot Record using the command prompt.
- First, get a bootable drive and insert it into the PC.
- Continue with Windows Setup and reach “Repair Your Computer“.
- Choose “Troubleshoot“.
- Now, click on “Command Prompt” and input the following commands. Make sure that you hit Enter after typing each line.
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /scanos
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
- Once all the commands are entered, restart the PC.
06. Deactivate Your System’s Driver Signature Enforcement
It is always possible to try this solution by changing the startup settings for some time. But the permanent fix can be performed using the command prompt.
You can try the following commands.
- Boot your computer using a bootable disc.
- Reach “Repair Your Computer“.
- Click on “Troubleshoot” and launch “Command Prompt“.
- Now, enter the code “bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on” and hit enter.
07. Perform a System Restore
“Your PC needs to be repaired” is an error that can be repaired with a system restore as well. You can achieve this task using Safe Mode. When you boot the PC in Safe Mode, it will load with essential services only.
As a result, it will restore the PC to a trouble-free situation. Mentioned below is how to perform a system restore.
- First, you should press the power button and hold it to shut down the PC. After that, you should power on the PC once again.
- Now, you can navigate to the option called “Run in Safe Mode” to proceed.
- You can go to the “Start” menu and search for the option called “System Restore“. Then, launch the first window.
- You can now go to a specific restore point where the system was functioning properly.
- Give the system some time and choose “Reboot“. It should bring your PC to a state where there were no troubles.
08. Find a Replacement Hard Drive
If you are yet to succeed, you are supposed to replace the hard drive. That is because you may be experiencing this issue due to a hard drive failure as well.
Haven’t any of the above solutions worked so far? If so, the problem might have occurred due to a serious failure in your hard drive. So, you may have to get a new one, and it should work.
Will a “system restore” be able to fix the “recovery: your PC needs to be repaired” error?
Well, if you have created a restore point in advance, this might work perfectly. That means you should create a restore point when the computer is working correctly.
With a system restore, you actually revert your computer back to that restore point. So, the computer will perform without any issue.
What can I do if I don’t have the installation disc and still want to repair Windows 10?
Well, you can repair the Windows system even without a disc. Just press the F11 key when the system is booting. That will lead you to Advanced Startup options. You can then go to Advanced options and choose Startup Repair. Most probably, the issue will be fixed.
What can you expect from Windows 10 Startup Repair?
Windows 10 Startup Repair is a process that can check the potential errors in the Startup. When there are errors in the StartupStartup, the system will not boot as you expect.
It can even lead to a “recovery your PC needs to be repaired” error and annoy you. However, with a Windows 10 Startup Repair, you can bring things back to normal.
Is the blue screen of death a serious error?
Well, the blue screen of death doesn’t actually make the components of your computer damaged. Instead, it will prevent your PC from booting up.
As a result, your work will stagnate, and you will start to panic until the issue is fixed. Also, the “recovery your PC needs to be repaired” error may cause partial or full data loss.