“Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied” is an error message associated with video streaming.
In fact, you may get this message when you play a video in a browser using a web player.
So, if you have experienced the “crossdomain access denied” issue, this article will explain how to overcome it.
Reasons Behind the “Cannot Load M3U8: Crossdomain Access Denied” Issue
It can be assumed that “crossdomain access denied” is related to the web player. If not, it can be due to an ad-block plugin, browser cookies, cache, or even an extension.
Regardless of the reason, “cannot load M3U8 crossdomain access denied” is a pretty annoying issue. So, to get you out of this situation, we will explain the most practical solutions you can try.
● Introduction to M3U8 File Format
In a nutshell, M3U8 is a UTF-8 Encoded Playlist file. This specific file becomes useful when it comes to creating and sharing playlists through the internet.
In terms of structure, M3U8 is a plain text file. However, it has important information, such as the media file(s) in the playlist. Apps and browsers that stream playlists read this file before playing the media files.
This specific file often experiences some troubles when the apps, extensions, or browsers try to read it.
● What Makes It Impossible to Play M3U8?
When playing an M3U8 file, you will have to launch it through a music player. If not, it should be played through a web browser. Many users prefer web browsers over dedicated applications, probably due to the convenience and better compatibility.
However, in some cases, they experience an “M3U8 cannot load” error. The full message says, “cannot load M3U8 crossdomain access denied”. It may even be followed with phrases like “404 not found” or “no levels to play“.
Besides, let’s figure out how to convert VOB to MKV.
Several Reasons Behind the “Cannot Load M3U8: Crossdomain Access Denied” Issue.
- Disabled flash (probably the most common issue)
- Third-party cookies interrupt the browser and prevent playing M3U8 files.
- An active firewall that blocks the M3U8 file.
- Ad-blockers and some browser extensions.
Solutions to Fix the ‘Cannot Load M3U8: Crossdomain Access Denied’ Issue
Now that you have a substantial idea about the “cannot load M3U8” issue. Let’s find out the fixes.
Method 01: Change Firewall Configurations
If you experience crossdomain access denied error, your firewall could be the culprit behind it. When the firewall doesn’t permit the app to play M3U8, the error can trigger. So, if you want to access the stream, you can deactivate the firewall and give it a try.
If you have installed a third-party antivirus program, you should deactivate them for a while. But if you use the default Windows Firewall, you are supposed to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you should go to Windows search and enter the text “Firewall“.
- Find the option called “Allow and app through Windows Firewall”.
- Now, go to the app that streams the file. Then, be sure that it is enabled through public and private firewalls.
- If it doesn’t work, just go to the button labeled “Change Settings” to proceed. It is located at the top.
- Now, check the boxes next to the app under the Private and Public options.
- Close the control panel window and relaunch the app to see if the “cannot load M3U8” is resolved.
Method 02: Allow Cookies to Fix ‘Cannot Load M3U8: Crossdomain Access Denied’
Most browsers we find today tend to block third-party cookies by default. That is due to privacy concerns. In fact, this could be one of the most common reasons that lead to the “M3U8 cannot load” issue.
So, you should allow the browser to save the cookies, and that will solve the issue. The method used can slightly differ based on the browser used.
● For Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome on the device and click on the three dots that appear in the top-right corner.
- Then, go to the option called “Settings” in the context menu.
- Scroll down to find the option called “Advanced” and click on it to proceed.
- Now, please click on the option called “Site Settings“.
- Click on Cookies.
- Now, toggle the option called “Block third-party cookies” so it is SWITCHED OFF.
- Restart the Chrome browser to see if the problem is resolved.
● For Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge on the computer.
- Click on the three-dotted icon (in the top right corner).
- Click on the option called “Settings“.
- Now, select the option called “Privacy & Security“.
- Select the “Cookies” option and choose “Don’t Block Cookies“.
- Restart Microsoft Edge and see if it works.
If the crossdomain access is denied due to a cookie-related issue, the above methods should fix it. However, if you still experience the same error, try one of the following methods.
PS: let’s learn more about how to resolve the 0xc10100bf issues easily.
Method 03: Activate (Enable) Flash for the Respective Website
Sometimes, your browser cannot load M3U8 when Flash is disabled on the respective device. You may know that Flash Players are not used anymore, so it is disabled by default on many browsers.
In this case, you should allow Flash on the browser to overcome the “crossdomain access denied” error.
Below is How to Allow Flash on Chrome Browser:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three-dotted icon.
- Choose the option called “Settings“.
- Scroll down and find the option called “Advanced“.
- Now, go to the option called “Privacy and Security” and then go to “Site Settings“.
- Now, under “Permissions,” you should click on “Flash”.
- Check if the website is blocked from streaming Flash-based content. If that’s the case, click on the trash icon next to the site name. That will remove the blocking settings.
- However, if you don’t want to block Flash, turn the toggle option off. It is located next to “Block Flash content“.
Now, restart the browser and see if it works.
Method 04: if You Have Installed Ad Blockers, Remove Them
If you have installed an ad blocker in your browser, that can lead to the “M3U8 cannot load” issue. That can detect media content as an ad and thereby block it. So, you should remove it to resolve this issue.
Some websites will come with a specific protocol on the web page. That will prevent that browser from playing the media content.
If your browser has AdBlock, it will trigger the specific protocol called Paywall, leading to errors. That will prevent your browser from playing media smoothly.
So, if you have a different source for the same media, you can try it. If not, you have no other option than to remove the respective Ad Blocker.
Mentioned Below is One Example – Assume That You Use Adblock Plus on Your Chrome Browser.
- First, you should go to the website that contains the respective media file which needs to be viewed.
- Click on the menu icon (which appears like a hamburger) located at the top-right corner.
- Now, click on the icon that represents the “AdBlock” extension. It is located under “Options“.
- You can see the Power Button in blue color. That does mean the respective option is enabled. You should turn it off by clicking on it once. That will do the trick.
- Now, go to the same video and play it. If the issue was related to AdBlock, it should be resolved by now. If not, you should proceed to the next method.
Method 05: Get Rid of the Browsing Data if Crossdomain Access Denied
If you still cannot load M3U8, it may be related to your browser’s browsing data. In that case, the best option is to delete browsing data. Well, the data related to your browsing activities are stored in your device as a “cache”.
This applies to both computers and mobile devices. The data stored in the cache will help the browser to load the same data faster next time. However, these cache files can often be corrupt due to various reasons.
As a result, your browser can experience various issues, and “M3U8 cannot load” is one of those. So, clearing the cache files is the best way to solve this issue. Like the other cases, the method of cleaning the cache varies based on the browser type.
If You Use Google Chrome, Please Follow Up on the Below Steps:
- Open Google Chrome
- Open a new tab
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete simultaneously
- Now, you will see a different window called “Clear Browsing Data“. Select the option called “All Time“.
- Select “Clear Data“.
This method can work on various browsers, including Firefox and Edge. Once you do this, the browser’s cache files will be cleaned up. If there were any corrupted files, they would be gone. Now, try to play the same video.
If None of Those Methods Work, You Can Consider Using a Third-party Player to Play M3U8 Files.
- First, get the URL for the M3U8 playlist ready.
- Now, download the application called 5KPlayer on your computer and install it to proceed.
- Launch the app to see the main interface and click on the “Live” icon.
- Now, you should enter the .M3U8 URL in the box and hit “Play“.
- The playlist will load in seconds, and that’s it.
So, those are the solutions we can use if crossdomain access is denied. If you have any other questions about the “cannot load M3U8” matter, please let us know.