File boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9 is an issue that can annoy any Windows user.
If you are one of them and looking for solutions, keep reading. In this article, you will find some easy solutions to address it effectively and easily.
An Introduction to Boot BCD 0xc00000e9
There are many users who experience file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9 on their Windows OS. This specific error tends to appear when they switch their computers on.
Then, the boot process will hold, and you cannot proceed from that point onwards until you fix the issue.
There are many individuals who look for solutions to fix file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9. In fact, this problem is directly related to BSOD. This specific error can appear due to an I/O error on your storage devices. The same can appear due to a bad system registry or even another issue.
Well, there are several factors to cause boot BCD 0xc00000e9. Mentioned below are some of those causes that can trigger this issue.
- It might happen due to damaged, faulty or loose connection on external or removable storage devices.
- It might happen due to missing or damaged registry files or other system files.
- Outdated drivers.
- Problems that are related to hard drives including bad sectors.
- Faulty Windows updates
- Malware infection
So, how to get rid of this boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error? Well, there can be plenty of individuals who are looking for ways to overcome this error.
So, in the following sections, you might be able to find the most practical methods to fix this error.
How to Fix File Boot BCD Error Code 0xc00000e9 Effectively?
Solution 1: Perform an SFC Along with Dism to Fix File Boot BCD Error Code 0xc00000e9
If you experience a boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error due to a missing file system, here’s an effective solution. It is possible to use SFC as well as DISM utilities and overcome this error.
SFC is the shortened form of System File Checker. In a nutshell, it is a built-in tool that can repair damaged or lost system files. That will bring back a smooth performance. On the other hand, DISM is a tool that can restore damaged or lost system files.
Besides, if you are experiencing the Error Code 0x8007042B During Windows 10 Update, here are the best fixes for you.
Mentioned below is how to perform the SFC command on your PC
- First, you should go to WinRE. You can enter this status after failing two consecutive attempts to boot Windows OS.
- Then, you should navigate to the option “Troubleshoot” and go to “Advanced Options.” After that, you can go to the “Command Prompt.”
- Enter the text “SFC /scannow” and hit the “Enter” key. Then, just wait for so the scan will end.
If SFC doesn’t repair file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9, use DISM Enter the following command.
Exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Now, you can exit the Command Prompt and see if the boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error is fixed.
PS: if you are facing the issues like Lenovo being stuck on the boot menu, here are the top solutions for you.
Solution 2: Remove Any Your Windows Update if It is Incompatible
The next solution is to get rid of potentially incompatible updates in your Windows system. Well, you can uninstall an update after putting your PC on safe mode. Mentioned below is how you can delete faulty Windows updates in Safe mode.
- First, you should go to WinRE and go to Troubleshoot, and choose “Advanced Options.” After that, you can click on “Startup Settings.”
- Now, press F5 and choose the option called “Enable Safe Mode with Networking.” As a result, your PC will boot in Safe Mode along with access to the network.
- Now, you should go to File Explorer. Perform a right-click on the option called “This PC.” Then, you are supposed to choose “Properties.”
- You can click on “Control Panel Home.” After that, click on “Programs and Features.”
- Click on the option called “View Installed Updates.”
- Perform a right-click on the faulty or corrupted update. Then, select “Uninstall” to proceed.
Solution 3: Update the Drivers of Your System to Fix the File Boot BCD 0xc00000e9 Error Code
In fact, a device driver is a special program or coding that introduces hardware components to the main system. So, if a particular driver fails to function properly, the operating system will not identify the respective hardware.
So, the solution here is to update disk drivers. Once the outdated drivers are updated, the “boot BCD 0xc00000e9” error will be fixed. Mentioned below is what you can do to perform this task.
- First, press the Windows key and X keys simultaneously. Choose the option called “Device Manager” from the existing menu.
- Now, you should expand “Disk Drivers.” Then, perform a right-click on those hard drives. Then, choose the option called “Update Driver.”
- Now, you should select the option called “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
That should update the driver software.
Solution 4: Go for a System Restore to Fix the File Boot BCD 0xc00000e9 Error Code
System restore is another solution you can try if you want to fix this issue. In fact, a system restore can put your PC into a perfectly working state. You can restore to a state where all the system files were working correctly.
For instance, you can restore to a situation where the applications, system settings, and Windows registry. This specific feature will not delete any of the personal files you have. Instead, it will just put your operating system into a perfectly working condition without much trouble.
Besides, let’s figure out how to repair windows 10 without CD.
Solution 5: Check if the Storage Devices Are Connected Properly
In some cases, file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9 can appear due to improperly connected storage devices as well. In this case, the best method to fix it is by connecting them properly once again. The process, of course, is a very convenient one. Mentioned below is how to do it.
- First, remove all the external hard disks that are connected to your computer.
- After that, you can enter the BIOS settings. If not, you should use the DiskPart command. By doing that, you can check how many hard disks are connected to the device.
- Go to Boot and navigate to Hard Drive. Then, hit enter so you can see the number of disks properly connected to the system.
- If not, the command prompt Window using WinRE and type in the following commands. Make sure that you hit the commands one after the other. After that, you can see the detected hard drives.
- Now, you should remove all the hard drives that are connected but not detected by the system. Then, plug them back properly. Be sure to check if the cables are damaged. Do you notice an issue with the hard drives, and still, the system detects them? If yes, you can follow the next two solutions to repair them.
Solution 6: Rebuild the Master Boot Record on Your System
Master Boot Record is often regarded as MBR. Technically, it is the first sector on your hard drive which is accessed during the booting process.
MBR is there to record all the information that pertains to the hard disk installed in your system. Also, it records the size as well as the sequence of the respective partition.
If the MBR is not working, the system is unable to detect the respective hard disk. In that case, you will notice file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9, and the computer will not work. However, the good news is that you can repair this MBR by using Bootrec.exe.
Please note that this method works only with a bootable disk. In this case, you can use Windows installation media. If not, you can even use a tool like MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Mentioned Below is How to Repair It.
- First, you should purchase MiniTool Partition Wizard. After that, you are supposed to open it on a computer that works already. Then, you should click on the option called Bootable Media.
- Now, you should follow that wizard and choose a destination for the output. In this case, it should be a “USB Flash Drive.” The boot.iso file will appear in that bootable disk.
- Now, you should set the respective firmware and make the faulty computer boot from the bootable disk. You may follow the steps below to do that.
- First, you should fix the bootable disk into the PC that has an issue.
- Now, go to the BIOS settings.
- After that, set that Removable Device as the first device in the boot sequence.
- You can boot the computer thereafter.
- Now, wait for a couple of seconds so the booting will take place.
- Now, click on “Command Console” so that it will launch Command Prompt.
- You can then enter the below-mentioned commands.
- bootrec /fixmbr
- sbootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
Please note that you should hit the “Enter” key after each line.
Solution 7: Perform a Scan for Bad Sectors to Fix the File Boot Bcd 0xc00000e9 Error Code
Bad sectors on your hard disk can occur if you use it for a pretty long time. In that case, you may experience a boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error on your hard disk. Eventually, it will make your hard disk not bootable.
This is exactly when you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard. That will scan the hard disk for potential bad sectors. If there are any bad sectors (the majority of sectors are bad), you may even replace them.
That said, mentioned below is how you can scan the hard disk using MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Create a bootable disk using MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Boot the faulty computer using the bootable disk created using MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Wait for a couple of seconds and click on “Partition & Disk Management.”
- Perform a right-click and choose the option called “Surface Test.”
- Choose “Start Now.”
Solution 8: Get a New Hard Drive to Fix the File Boot BCD 0xc00000e9 Error Code
If none of the above methods aren’t working, you are supposed to replace them. Well, do you want to retrieve your data from the faulty hard drive before replacing it? If yes, you will have to find a reliable data recovery tool.
MiniTool Partition Wizard is one of those reliable applications that can recover data. Mentioned below is how you can recover data from a faulty hard drive.
- First, boot your PC using bootable media, which is created with MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Click on “Data Recovery” on its main interface.
- Select the respective disk and hit “Scan.”
- Now, you can even find lost files with this tool.
- Find files based on their type or path
- Display lost files using “Show Lost Files”
- Find different files using the “Find” feature
- Filter files based on various parameters
- Preview files before recovering them
- Choose the option called Files and save recovered files in a location as you wish.
Then, you can get your new hard disk.
Also, here are the top solutions to fix the Recovery: Your PC Needs to Be Repaired issue for you.
Solution 9: Perform a Virus Scan
You can also try a virus scan to fix the boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error and restart the PC. To do that, you can create a bootable antivirus disk.
FAQ About File Boot BCD 0xc00000e9 Error Code
What exactly is the boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error?
It is an error that prevents your PC from booting. There are many reasons, including corrupted system files, loose connections, outdated drivers, hard drive issues, etc.
What does it mean by an unexpected I/O error?
It is one of the major reasons behind file boot BCD error code 0xc00000e9. It is related to storage devices in most cases.
Can viruses cause boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error?
Yes. You may be able to overcome the boot BCD 0xc00000e9 error by performing a virus scan.