For any computer user, 0x00000004 is a pretty maddening encounter. Particularly, if this error appears on a novice’s computer, things can be incredibly frustrating.
Whenever you see a Blue Screen error like 0x00000004, your data is at some sort of risk. The way you deal with it decides the fate of your precious data.
When you see this blue screen error on your PC, you cannot necessarily access your system. Also, it will shut down your PC without giving you any time to think. So, the big question is, what makes the 0x00000004 error appear?
Well, this article is composed covering all the aspects of this issue, including the most effective solutions. So, continue reading the sections below and learn how to overcome this annoying issue.
Part 1: What Does 0x00000004 Error Mean?
As per our knowledge, a 0x00000004 error can take place as a result of several issues. These issues can relate to a faulty disk, the hardware, or the software of the system. The most significant outcome of this issue is that it necessarily denies access to your system.
For most users, it triggers a system crash as well. In fact, this error is not that common, and some new Windows users have never encountered it.
However, knowing about this error and how to fix it will be handy for any user. So, let’s move to the remainder of the article and learn how to fix it.
PS: let’s learn more about how to repair windows 10 without CD.
Part 2: The Most Common Causes Behind 0x00000004 Error
According to the overviews provided by many experts, 0x00000004 can be triggered due to various reasons. Below, we list down the most common causes for your knowledge.
- You have installed a faulty device driver into the system.
- There is a failure in one or more hardware components.
- The system’s antivirus stops potential updates.
- Malware infection on your system.
- One or more of your system’s drivers are corrupted or outdated.
- You are using an incompatible backup tool.
- There is an error in the Windows registry.
- One or more system files are damaged.
It is true that the above list gives you an idea about the potential reasons behind the 0x00000004 error. However, this issue can occur due to unknown reasons as well.
So, finding the most viable solution is compulsory to handle this situation and get your system back on track. The good news is that we explain those fixes in the next sections of our article.
Part 3: Viable Solutions to Fix 0x00000004 Error
It is true that dealing with a 0x00000004 error is a pretty sensitive task that should be handled very carefully. So, finding the correct method to fix it has a major role in it.
In fact, there are several practical solutions to address this issue, and we intend to list them below.
Method 01: Use “scannow” Command to Fix 0x00000004 Error
It is better to start with the most basic solution of all before proceeding to the advanced solutions. In this case, the best approach is to perform a system check with the default Windows tool.
During this process, the system itself can identify the potential errors and fix them. Mentioned below are the steps you should take to perform this step.
- Launch the Start Menu.
- Enter the next Run.
- Enter the text cmd in the dialog box.
- Once the command window appears, enter the text SFC/scannow.
- Hit Enter.
Once you have done that, the PC’s system will perform a scan. At the completion of the process, you will get a confirmation message as well. It says, “Windows Protection System found corrupted files and Repaired them successfully.” Now, you should check if the error is fixed. If the error persists, move to the next step.
Method 02: Check for Potential Hard Drive Errors
Your computer’s hard drive can get corrupted due to various reasons. Power failure, misuse, hard close, incomplete software installation, forced shutdown, etc., are some of those reasons.
If that’s the case with you, it can lead to various issues, including the 0x00000004 error. Therefore, it is important to check if your hard drive experiences any of those errors.
The best approach here is to perform Disk Scanning and Repairing.
- First of all, you should go to Start Menu.
- Enter Run text and hit enter.
- Open a command prompt using cmd.
- In the command prompt, hit chkdsk /f and hit Enter.
This will repair the potential errors in the hard drive.
Method 03: Boot the System with Last Known Good Configuration
If you are yet to succeed, you can try the option called Last Known Good Configuration. With this method, we try to boot the system into a state where things were smooth. That said, follow the steps below and boot the system into “Last Known Good Configuration.”
- Switch on the computer. Press the F8 button so the advanced boot options will appear.
- You can see an option called Last Known Good Configuration. Just move to that option using arrow keys.
In addition, let’s learn more about how to stop the 0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR blue screen error easily.
Method 04: Update Your System’s Drivers
Sometimes, the system can experience 0x00000004 due to outdated system drivers. When your system has outdated drivers, it cannot communicate with respective hardware components properly. In return, you will experience various issues, including blue screen errors.
And in this case, the best solution is to update the drives so the device will function once again. In fact, there are two methods to get this done.
A: If You Know the Exact Driver That is Outdated
Go to the Start Menu and enter the text Device Manager. Then, choose the respective driver and right-click on it. Then, choose the option called Update Driver from the popup menu.
B: If You Are Not Sure Which of the Drivers is Outdated
When you are not sure which of the drivers is outdated, you should go to an advanced option. You may seek the assistance of a professional tool to get it done.
For instance, you can use DriverDoc to update all the drivers without much effort. This is a very easy method as it does all the hard work for you.
However, before proceeding to this step, we strongly recommend taking a backup of your data.
- Download DriverDoc on your PC and install it.
- Launch it and click on the Scan Driver option.
- Click on the option called Update the Driver.
- Restart the PC and see if it works.
Method 05: Use Registry Cleaner to Fix 0x00000004 Error
If you had no luck so far with the previous solutions, here’s another method to try. In this method, you should use Registry Cleaner and get rid of the potentially corrupted registry entries.
However, the truth is that not every user is conversant in dealing with registry entries. If you fall into that category, we strongly recommend you use a registry cleaner application.
If you handle registry entries without proper knowledge, you can end up causing more harm than good.
That said, mentioned below is how to clean your system’s registry using a tool called Auslogics Registry Cleaner. Please note that you can choose any other registry cleaner application to get this job done.
- First, download and install Auslogics Registry Cleaner.
- Launch the application and click on the option called Scan Now.
- Click on the option called Repair All so the registry entries will be cleaned.
(The above steps might slightly vary depending on the Registry Cleaner tool you select).
Please note that you should restart the PC after performing each of the above methods. That will apply the necessary changes to your PC. We hope that at least one of the above methods will fix the 0x00000004 error on your PC.
Part 4: Did You Lose Data Due to the 0x00000004 error? Here’s How to Recover It
As mentioned earlier, 0x00000004 can even lead to data loss as well. Many of our readers say that they have lost their precious data because of the blue screen error. If you come across such an instance, what should you do?
Well, the good news is that you shouldn’t necessarily get frustrated as we have a solution to it. If you have lost data, Wondershare Recoverit can be your savior.
No matter how you have lost your data, Recoverit can bring it back for you. It is a very efficient and powerful software that has a smart algorithm to retrieve your lost data.
Here are the obvious reasons why we like Wondershare Recoverit.
- It can recover all the lost or deleted photos, documents, music, videos, etc.
- It works with any storage device, including HDD, memory card, USB flash drive, external hard drives, etc.
- Work perfectly to recover data that is lost due to formatting, HDD corruption, system crash, malware, etc.
Mentioned below is the process to recover lost data using Wondershare Recoverit.
- First, you should download and install Recoverit on your PC. Then, launch the application to see the main screen.
- You will see several options to select from. Just define a recovery scenario to proceed. In this case, select the option called System Crash Data Recovery.
Create a Bootable Drive
1. You are now required to create a bootable drive since the system cannot boot. So, choose the option called Start.
2. Next, you should choose USB or CD/DVD. We assume that you use a USB. So, click on USB and proceed to click on the option called the Create Button.
3. Now, the system will format the plugged-in USB after pressing the Format Now option.
Retrieve the Data
Now that the bootable device is created follow the steps below.
1. In order to change the BIOS settings, restart the PC and hit the BIOS entry key. This key might differ from one brand to another (F2, DELETE, etc.).
2. Connect your USB media to the PC.
3. Restart the PC so you can recover data through the crashed computer system.
Be sure that you follow all the steps above in the correct order to recover the lost data. As we know, retrieving data through Wondershare Recoverit is the easiest and most efficient way to recover lost data.
A system that encounters a blue screen error can be seriously frustrating. However, if you take the correct steps in proper order, you can overcome them easily. The methods we presented in this article can fix the 0x00000004 error for good.
Also, if you have lost data due to a 0x00000004 error, you can use Wondershare Recoverit to overcome it. The key point is to stay calm and take only the correct measures to rectify the issue. Good luck!